Ask Rosalee: How To Wear Red Lipstick.
I have been seeing red lips popping up all over in fashion. I love the look but I’m afraid to try it. I have fine lines around my lips and I’m nervous about the red lipstick bleeding. How can I wear this look?
-Linda, 54; Sun Prairie
Thanks for your question! You are right, red lips are popping up everywhere in fashion right now. They are a timeless classic and can dress up any look. I absolutely adore the look of red lipstick. I spend about 60% of my life wearing a bold lip-color, so I definitely have some tips for you.
Choosing the perfect shade of red can be a process. It may take a few tries to find the shade you feel the best in. Feel free to go to Sephora or a department store makeup counter to try out several options.
When wearing red lipstick it is best to keep all other makeup clean and simple. Prep the skin with moisturizer and your concealer/foundation. Fill in your brows and use a subtle blush color. A natural eyeshadow and a few coats of mascara is best on the eyes.
There are many options for preventing “feathering”, the pro term for lipstick bleeding. You can choose to use one of these options or a combination to keep your lipstick within the lines of your lips.
– Use concealer around the edges of your mouth and blend outward. Set with translucent powder.
– Try a lip primer like Too Faced Lip Insurance Lip Primer
– Line lips with a lip liner in a corresponding shade of red or a neutral tone. Make sure to fill in your lips with the lip liner.
– Try a lip stain. The color is a bit softer than a traditional lipstick, but it has amazing staying power.
– Apply your lipstick with a brush. Using a brush makes for a more precise application. I like the brushes from elf They work great and most are just $1.00 a brush!
– Blot (use a tissue to softly dab your lips) and reapply.
– Avoid getting lipstick on your teeth. A trick from Cindy Crawford is to put your index finger in your mouth, purse your lips around it, then slowly pull it out to remove excess color. This is a simple trick that really works!
Some of my favorite red lipsticks are…
The most important thing is to have fun with makeup! Have a great time trying out red lips this fall.